Waynesville, North Carolina
1.9

What a total POS! This model has to be the worst engineered mower ever. I should have taken it back as soon as I pulled it out of the box. 1st, Sears proudly advertised a Honda engine, which is what I asked for, and when I pulled it out of the box there was a B&S engine. I had good B&S engines before, so I decided to give it a try. Since this was one of the more powerful engines, it should have no trouble mowing a yard with hilly terrain. Not the case. This mower is extremely heavy and is not balanced well. Thus, it will tip over with an incline. And, since this is a rear wheel drive, it tends to push the mower over.

I prefer to mulch my grass instead of bagging it, and the mulching feature is horrible. The engineers designed the rear wheel drive with a large box under the frame. Grass piles up next to this box and clogs underneath the frame. I must literally stop the engine and removed grass from under the frame quite often. This is extremely aggravating. If I choose the use the side discharge feature, the same this will happen, although not as quickly. Regardless, this should not happen at all. Then, if the grass is even slightly damp, it is even worse.

Now for the belt drive. What another joke. During the first season of using this mower, the belt came off the pulley system. Getting it back on requires disassembling most of the mower deck. And, this is where engineering fails miserably again. This should be an easy repair; not a disassemble of the mower. I tried to get a belt at the Sears location that sold me the mower and I was informed they do not stock this piece. Rather rudely, I was told to go to the Sears website and order my part there. Well, unless I want to wait 1 1/2 weeks for delivery, I must pay shipping that is the cost of the belt. Not a chance. I am sure NAPA will get me taken care of.

Should I even continue on about the cheap plastic parts used on this ***?

It's no wonder that Sears is failing miserably. What used to be a well respected organization is now a spilt milk seminar on how not to operate a retail operation. Folks, save your money and time and shop elsewhere. I am sure there is a local store that sell Toro, Torybilt, Honda, etc. that will actually service you when it is needed.

Product or Service Mentioned: Craftsman 917370921 Lawn Mower.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments